The way things are

Life is a really hard game. The pieces keep falling out of those teeny little cars!

Saturday, October 28, 2006

A loooooong night

The Jerman bought Moulin Rouge because I hadn't seen it and he said I needed to. So last night he, Roommate A, and I hijacked a projector in the Snell Building (Jerman's got the hookups) and watched Moulin Rouge on the big screen. It was delightful, although we all agreed that next time we need way more people.

As far as the movie goes, I loved it. The choreography was wonderful, as well as the costuming and set design. Scenes changed from black and white to color, and music and weather conditions were ideal for the tone of the scene. There were some very artistic camera shots--a lot of the flying camera type of thing and even one scene where there was a half of a mirror effect. (ok so I suck at describing this stuff and I know very little about film, but there were a lot of lovely subtleties). The plot, though unrealistic, was original and focused on various themes throughout. One theme that I really liked and was "the show must go on." Through the entire movie this came up--how sacrifices must be made so that life can go on. Near the end there was a huge song about it that had a wonderful cathartic effect (at least on me). It made me realize that sometimes we get into those lose-lose situations and we don't know which one is better; we don't know what is reall the best thing to sacrifice. And then of course the movie goes on and love wins--it won't be sacrificed. The end is a bit bleak, and the main character isn't very happy, which makes me think that sometimes the show goes on whether we like it or not and we have no control over it. That wasn't a terribly in-depth review, but it sufficeth me. A very thought-provoking movie indeed.

After the movie we met up with AtP. After a failed attempt at finding food, we went got some pizza and went to the Jerman's house. Roommate B called, lonely and afraid of Roommate C and her boyfriend on the couch, so we picked up Roommate B and went to the Creamery. Frozen cookies, foil, and off to the bell tower to roast the cookies. AtP and I failed miserably at flipping the cookies over and many a cookie were lost. It just wasn't working out between us. Our last flip was successful, which excited us greatly, although the cookies didn't turn out so well. After nearly hitting a person with a flying cookie, witnessing a guy proposing to his girl (and probably ruining the moment for them), and meeting AtP's friends D and S, we decided we were cold enough and we went back to the Jerman's house. AtP, D, and S left 50 awkward moments later, and Roommates A and B and I left around 3:30.

I didn't get up until 12:30 pm today. I can't remember the last time I did that.

Coming soon: adventures/tragedies of Spanky the cardboard cat.

2 Comments:

Blogger Klobas said...

did you play cardboard kitty?

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you might enjoy Jerman's comment to me on the evening when I queried where he'd had such a late-night party. "Oh, we broke the honor code". I laughed hard.

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home