The way things are

Life is a really hard game. The pieces keep falling out of those teeny little cars!

Friday, November 24, 2006

California love

For some reason I thought that going to California would somehow make everything better--that I would be able to leave everything behind and just enjoy a week of seeing people I love and doing whatever I want.

I was right.

It was a fabulous week. Having my entire immediate family at home made showering and sleeping arrangements a tad awkward, but no one cared. We continually played games and watched movies, as is the routine in the Ped household when there is family visiting.

I tried to maintain a balance between spending time with my family and spending time with friends...I ended up at the Native's until way late every night. So much fun.

Thanksgiving was a great day. I slept in, played games, then helped my youngest brother, E, build a lego house thing. My sister and I carved the turkey (successfully, I might add) and then went to pick up Happy Butt.

Happy Butt is an old widow that my dad home-teaches. Anyone that has ever met her knows that she's a stubborn, gossipy woman, but that she is hilarious. Apparently she told my dad that when she was younger her friends called her "Happy Butt." Why? Her name is Gladys--or Glad Ass. People are odd.

Anywho, we all enjoyed a lovely Thanksgiving feast, complete with odd questions/comments from Happy Butt. All the food was amazing, and the pie/treats were even MORE amazing.

Things I am grateful for:

1. My fam. They are crazy but so much fun and I love them to death. It was soooo nice to see them all and play games with them all. My mom is an amazing cook and an amazing person in general. It is such a compliment to me when people tell me I am like her. My brothers are hilarious, my sister is too, and her hubby is so much fun. Pops is generally laid back and unobtrusive, but he too is absolutely hilarious. I love them all.

2. California in general. The weird people who dress and act how they like without caring what others think. The general good taste and style. The nicer roads and more aggressive drivers. The ghetto-ness. I know this is so cliche, but California really does know how to party, yo. Utah isn't all that bad, and there are some things here that are wonderful, but it was such a relief to be HOME. If I could live in Cali the rest of my life, I would be happy.

3. My friends. Roommate A for being crazy, fun, sweet, entertaining, and ever considerate. The Jerman for cramming into my car with us and coming all the way out to California to hang with us. And for being ticklish and always right about everything. Masta P for being is normal old self and making me laugh all the time. Sister Dawg for being fun and happy even though she is recovering from a major surgery. The Native for being one of the best friends I've ever had--for spending his week with me, for always knowing how to make me laugh, and for declaring the date of the "anniversary" of our friendship. And for all my other wonderful friends--both those who I got to see, and those who I didn't. For everyone that has ever said anything nice to me, or who has just been a quiet participant in the scenes of my life, I am grateful.

4. Those teeny little blessings the God sends to show his love. Like laughter, music, nature, health, and haircuts. Like a hug from a friend, or an encouraging text, or just peace and comfort that everything will be okay. And for weeks like this one--a break from life and all of its problems. A week with family and friends at a place I can truly call home.

Last Tuesday was so awful--I was a complete mess. I'm not exactly happy to be back in Uta (no 'h' on purpose), and I already miss my home, my family, and my friends. But I'm not a mess anymore. I have the same problems, but it doesn't matter. I'll make it. Only a few more weeks until I can go home again. I feel refreshed and strengthened.

Tired nonetheless, and badly in need of a shower.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home