The way things are

Life is a really hard game. The pieces keep falling out of those teeny little cars!

Monday, November 27, 2006

In the market for a new neck

When I was about 13 years old, I tweaked my neck at swim practice. Not exactly sure how, but it hurt pretty bad and I couldn't turn my head to the right for about a week.

When I was 15, I developed what my friends lovingly dubbed an "abscess" on the right side of my neck. It was more like a swelling, and it was stiff and hurt badly enough that I had to do only kicking at swim practice and couldn't participate in the meet against Napa High. The doctor couldn't figure out why the right side of my neck randomly swelled up. He postulated that my lymph nodes were swollen for some unknown reason, and gave me antibiotics (which my friends dubbed "horse pills"--again, lovingly...NOT) which took care of the problem within a week or two.

Since then, I've never had any neck problems.

Until today. I was stretching out my arms this morning, and as I tensed, there was this awful scratchy crack in the right side of my neck. Then pain and stiffness. Disgusted by the noise and feeling, I was somewhat dizzy and sat down on the floor. I sat there until I thought I could stand again, and proceeded to get ready for the day, despite the pain whenever I bent over or tried to turn my head to the right.

I was late to class for the first time this semester. Blast.

Right now it hurts a bit less, and if I go real slowly I can turn it to the right about 60 degrees. No problems turning left. I will consult Father Bear and see if he has a diagnosis for me. We'll see if medical attention is needed.

In the mean time, I will eat spaghetti and hope that someday I will be able to turn right again.

3 Comments:

Blogger Charlene said...

Just choose the left... all the cool kids are doing it.

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll trade you necks if you'll trade me colons.

Nah, who am I kidding. I wouldn't wish that on any but my worst enemies.

11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who cares about necks. I want more articles about coldhanditis.

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home