The way things are

Life is a really hard game. The pieces keep falling out of those teeny little cars!

Friday, October 12, 2007

Just my luck

So I was leaving campus (for the second time today) around 6:20 when this guy comes up to me and asks if I'm in the 22nd ward. I responded that I was and he asked if, since we live near each other, he could walk home with me. I was glad to have some company on the way home; plus if I had said no, we still would have taken the same route home, which would have been awkward.

He was a really nice guy, and taller than me. Not cute, but not ugly. I could see how if you liked him you might think he's cute. He asked me the regular questions: Where are you from? What are you studying? Why haven't I seen you at dessert night? etc.

He told me he's studying geography and that he makes maps. I almost laughed because it reminded me of an Arrested Development episode(I think it's the first or second one from the first season) where Buster is studying cartography and someone asks him, "Hasn't everything pretty much been discovered and mapped?" But I didn't laugh, and I resisted the urge to ask this question. He seemed very nice, after all, and I wanted to return the favor. It was a pleasant walk home.

Similar type of story: I'm in a couple of computer/electrical engineering classes where there are typically 1-5 girls per class. Guys talk to me. Nothing particularly flirty--let's face it, their social skills are usually pretty pathetic--but they talk to me.

Guys in my music class talk to me sometimes too. I usually don't talk back very much--that class and the people in it annoy me because it's a 101 class. But still.

I just thought it was funny--some guy that noticed me at church(and he must have really noticed me because I haven't been to our ward for several weeks, and I know I haven't met that guy before), decides to talk with me and walk me home, random guys in my classes are initiating conversations; I mean, where were they two months ago when I was dateless and manless? Don't get me wrong--Jacob is fantastic and I certainly wouldn't trade him in for a cartographer or a geeky computer kid--but I just think it's hilarious that suddenly I have boys talking to me now, when I'm not available.

Just an observation of how cruel and cold the universe is. Just kidding. Jacob's amazing.

6 Comments:

Blogger Samantha said...

Attraction secret #1,429,846:
When a person is in a relationship, he/she relaxes, gains confidence, and becomes more approachable. No more desperate "I'm lonely and want to make out" signals are emitted.

Amazing, but true.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Klobas said...

love arrested development references. I demand more of them in your blogs.

Also, cake.

10:45 PM  
Blogger draco said...

Just from having met you this evening, I would ask you out on a date too- if I wasn't, well, you know... :)
I can already tell that you are an amazing person and I hope to get to know you better!

1:18 AM  
Blogger Chase said...

First, pie. Not cake.

Second, how could you mention how cruel and cold the universe without saying something like "Oh. And then there's MustacheBoy."?

10:36 AM  
Blogger Stephalumpagus said...

Hmm I hope I wasn't emitting too many "I'm lonely and want to make out" signals before, but that's definitely a good point. Now I'm just curious to see what the other 1,429,845 attraction secrets are.

Klobas, you'll get your cake.

It was nice to meet you too Draco. And you don't have to ask me on a date. Haha.

Mustacheboy, you aren't a reason the universe is cold and cruel. You're going to tap dance on my grave, and for that I'm eternally grateful.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've decided that being in a "relationship" (I put it in quotes because I'm not sure if that's your actual status or not) gives one a certain confidence in themselves that those around them respond to.

Or it could just be that people want what they can't have. :)

3:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home