The way things are

Life is a really hard game. The pieces keep falling out of those teeny little cars!

Monday, November 17, 2008

Logic

There are two main reasons I hate debating politics:

1) Contention. Arguing, even respectfully debating, always leaves me in a bad mood. No one is going to change his/her mind, no one is going to prove anything, and everyone is going to end up with higher blood pressure in the end. And when both sides are very passionate, feelings can be hurt and friends can be lost. Basically, debates are an effective way to get real flustered real quick.

2) Logic. When it comes to the big, belief-testing political issues, logic is rarely on my side. Obviously that makes me look like a self-righteous bigot or whatever they're calling us these days. I know it does. I know that most people don't understand personal revelation, or a firm believe in supporting Church leaders. I know most people think it's "blind faith" when I believe without knowing all of the reasons why.

Personal conviction and faith are very real to me, and I believe the combination of the two to be a lot firmer an argument than human logic. To me, logic has little to do with faith, except to add to an already present validity. All I know is I have a testimony of the Gospel. I have a testimony that marriage is an eternal principle not to be taken lightly. I have a testimony that the leaders of the Church receive and act upon revelation. And I know that the Gospel has always brought me peace and has never brought me sorrow.

Sometimes I don't have a plethora of logical reasons for my beliefs. That's because it's not about logic for me. I think human logic is too limited to trust in. I put my faith and trust in the Lord.

That's why I hate politics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home